Austin Clark is the owner of the Arizona branch of Moxie Pest Control, a pest control and exterminator company that has grown through both acquisitions and organic growth over the years. With his years of experience in the industry, Austin has broadened his expertise in running, expanding, and acquiring businesses.
In this episode, we talked about acquisitions, pest control, maintenance, operations, recurring revenue…
- Introducing Austin Clark. [0:20]
- How and when Austin started his franchise. [2:25]
- Why it was so important to get someone driven and skilled to be second in command. [9:17]
- Why the decision to move back to a small base of operations from a bigger location made more sense, business-wise. [17:09]
- How to effectively market for your internal customers. [19:22]
- Why it’s important to surround yourself with entrepreneurs who are playing big and not afraid to make mistakes. [25:12]
- How acquisitions can be a part of any company’s growth plan—and why. [30:26]
- How to build a business that’s amazing for acquisition. [37:13]
- Why business owners should not shy away from talking about money matters. [39:42]
- What matters when it comes to valuations, and how to go about the process of getting a business evaluated. [45:23]
- Recognizing whether or not a company is a good fit for acquisition. [51:51]
- Three books on Austin’s reading list. [56:21]
- How to get more information about Austin. [1:00:51]
- Austin’s most important piece of advice to home service business owners. [1:03:17]
Resources And People Mentioned:
- [email protected]
- Service Roundtable
- Shark Tank
- Rocket Fuel by Gino Whitman
- Joe Polish
- The Private Equity Playbook by Adam Coffey
- Jim Abrams
- Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies by James C. Collins and Jerry I. Porras
- Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It… and Why the Rest Don’t by Verne Harnish
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni
- The E Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber
HAVE YOU ORDERED MY NEWEST BOOK YET?
In my new book, Elevate, I share how I created the right structures and incentives to build a team of A-players, and how that helped me build a $200M Garage Door business in 19 states. Order it now and get access to 5 free amazing bonuses!
Hello, I am a painting contractor in a smaller area in California. We do about $5 million in profitable res house painting currently and are working on doubling our sales in the next 4 years. I recently ran across these podcast and have been hooked for a week. I purchased the short course and enjoyed that over the weekend. I have a couple questions and am hoping to Connect.