Al Levi has been rated as one of the 25 most influential contractors in the United States by Plumbing and Mechanical Magazine, where he has also been a longtime columnist. After starting and growing his own business, he was able to sell the business to then retire before reaching 50. He is the author of The 7-Power Contractor, and helped in co-authoring the book The Home Service Millionaire.
In this episode, we talked about entrepreneurship, contracting, leadership, staffing…
- Introducing Al Levi. [1:27]
- What Al has been up to since he last guested on the podcast. [3:19]
- Understanding Staffing Power: What it is and why it matters. [7:05]
- Developing strong and repeatable processes and manuals, and why you shouldn’t wait for the “magic person” who will automatically do everything right. [13:48]
- The tendency of most industries to focus on technical aspects, without giving due attention to the operational and sales components of the business. [20:45]
- The serious consequences of not having a systematic way of doing things. [27:45]
- Ethical selling, and being the best solutions provider for your customer. [37:54]
- Getting good reviews, the “mystery shopper,” and the two types of companies Al has worked with. [43:20]
- Why people who procrastinate may actually be afraid of change. [49:04]
- The importance of having the right, clearly defined org chart. [54:50]
- Why you shouldn’t be the “answer man” for your employees, especially if your company already has manuals. [58:44]
- Knowing when and how to let go of people. [1:00:52]
- Nuggets of wisdom for smaller companies/companies under 2 million on what to do and what’s next. [1:03:45]
- More information on the program for helping people develop manuals. [1:06:05]
- How to get more information about Al. [1:10:53]
- Three books on Al’s reading list. [1:12:20]
- Al’s most important piece of advice to home service business owners. [1:14:51]
Resources And People Mentioned:
GET YOUR FREE COPY OF MY NEWEST BOOK NOW!
This is my proven-and-tested playbook for growing your home service business without working like a madman. In this book you'll find everything from recruiting, marketing, sales, leadership, financing and much more! All I ask you is to cover the shipping cost.